This week, Monday, Jan. 7th and Tuesday, Jan. 8th are being targeted for calls to your state legislators and officials to support the Moratorium and Investigative Task Force on Fracking in IL, Senate Bill 3280.
While Senate Bill 3280 might not be brought up for a vote Tuesday, Prairie Rivers Network has sent out a request for phone calls to legislators. The Natural Gas Industry is doing everything it can to undermine efforts and citizen input is needed.
Please call your State Representative and state Senator (see phone numbers below) and IL House Speaker Madigan at 217-782-5350 and Rep. John Bradley (major pro-fracker) at 217-782-1051 and ask for a ”Yes” vote on Senate Bill 3280 to support a Moratorium and Task Force on Fracking in Illinois. Use the talking points below to supply several of your additional concerns.
Peoria Area state legilsators are:
Rep. Jehan Gordon 217-782-3186; Peoria office 681-1992
Rep. David Leitch 217-782-8108; Peoria office 690-7373
Rep. Mike Unes 217-782-8152; Pekin office 620-8631
Sen. David Koehler 217-782-8250; Pekin office 346-4646
Sen. Darin LaHood 217-782-1942; Peoria office 693-4921
Phone the Capitol Switchboard at 217-782-2000 and ask the Operator for other legislator’s office numbers.
Thanks in advance for your calls!
1) High pressure hydraulic fracking (fracking) is not the same process as has been used in Illinois for decades. It uses a much more powerful technology. Old methods of small-scale fracking in Illinois have given us a well-documented legacy of water contamination and land sterilization. With what is happening to folks around the country there no reason to believe high volume fracking will be
Proof of contamination:
this is the List of the Harmed by Pennsylvania Alliance for Clean Water and Air and is a list of 651 farmers and residents in Pennsylvania who have been devastated by Fracking. Let’s not repeat this horrific list here in IL, where already Illinois farmers and families have shown harm by the Oil and Natural Gas
2) The mix of 600 or more toxic chemicals has poisoned wells, and resulted in harm or death to plants, animals and humans.
3) Fracking uses huge amounts of water – up to 2-7 million gallons per frack and a well can be fracked many times. Water For Farming and Not For Fracking!
4) Many citizens of Southern Illinois are opposed to fracking. In Illinois, a ban has just been passed in the Village of Alto Pass. The city of Carlyle passed a ban
on drilling after a bad spill. Here are many more: http://www.dontfractureillinois.net/?s=local+bans
5) Please protect the people and environment of Illinois from the harm that fracking has caused in states like Ohio, Colorado and Pennsylvania.